Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Letdown

January is such a downer! It has been a blur of sick kids (including the hubby), poor sleep, and no motivation. One day was especially rough. It started with me getting my first ever shiner--Kate threw the phone at my eye. She then dumped an entire bag of Marshmallow Mateys on the carpet/couch and dumped my powder onto the bathroom floor. Later I was getting a game out of the closet and a bunch fell down on my foot. I haven't been sleeping well either. Between Tyler, the girls, and my bladder (I'm not preggers, I just have the smallest bladder known to mankind), I wake up a lot and have trouble falling asleep. I've been taking naps almost every day, which means I don't get much done around the house. Thankfully this month is almost over.

Tyler and I have made some personal and family resolutions that have helped with things a bit. Possibly my favorite is that Tyler has resolved to make dinner one night a week. He has been faithful so far. All of his meals have been tasty. Most nights there have been leftovers, so it is great to have two nights a week where I don't have to worry about what to make.

Tyler also encouraged me to learn a new skill this year. After much thought, I decided to pick something that is more like a project but will hopefully help me learn new skills along the way. I want to learn more about decorating and organization so I can give my house a makeover. I'll take it one room at a time (starting with my bedroom) and we'll see what happens. I'm excited to learn new things (I want to make curtains for several of the rooms) and hopefully have a better-looking house at the end. I am open to any ideas, tips, books, websites, blogs, etc. that can help me in the process. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

January is the WORST month of the year. I am always in a funk the whole month. Let's get the kids together asap so they can play and we can chat about our most favorite awkard moments.
Tucker is king of organization if you need any tips from him. :)

Joey and Nettifer said...

I am with you on the whole January thing. Last week I had reached my limit. I would hate to be January. Maybe we should go do something!

Good luck with learning new things. You dress so stinking cute I can only imagine how your home looks!

Sabrina said...

What a fun, new goal. I have kind of been doing that since we moved in, but it's been slow-going and will probably still take more than a year to complete, but w/ your kids being a little older, maybe you'll have more luck than me. Anyway, a book I recommend is "so easy...Home Sewing" by Caroline Smith. It's got ideas and guidelines on how to make all sorts of things like curtains, pillows, placemats, etc. and it doesn't have an exact pattern, but helps you know how to measure yourself so you can customize it for your own home. I've made curtains and some cushions using the methods already, and I am not an impressive seamstress or anything. Good luck!

alisquire said...

Shell- Which day next week do you want to get together? I can go to your mom's unless you want to come here. Maybe Tucker and I need to have a heart-to-heart.

Lynette- I would love to go do something. What could we do?

Bean- Thanks for the recommendation. I need all the help I can get!

Bel said...

Man it sure sounds like a hard month for you. Sorry that I flaked out today, I have never just sleeped through and not woken up in the morning, felt so bad. Brielle didn't even wake up until 10:30am she was so tired so I guess it worked out she needed extra sleep as well. I love to decorate, might not be very good at it but if you need some help let me know I would love to help. I am sure you will do a great job either way ;)

Alysia said...

On my blog I have a link to under my favorites for "U create" they have great links for tutorials of things you can do yourself. check it out, it is my new favorite.

T.Irwin said...

It's funny you say that because Eric and were talking about hard it is at this time of year...it's just such a drag for so many reasons (post holidays, cold, no sun, etc...)

I'd love to learn how to get better at organizing. Our house has so little storage space. It's an old house. I've been watching those home shows on HGTV (or whatever the channel is) just to get some tips. Can't wait to see you blog about what you're learning.

Margo said...

I'm glad I've found your blog. You are so right with January it has been hard for me too. Love your girls Christmas dresses and way to go for all your hubby's accomplishments this past year that is awesome. I know just like you I want to redo my house and just change things around. I guess we are both looking for some ideas. Hey if you need anything please let me know okay? I'm only across the street. BTW thanks for helping me with my kids and Kira. You are awesome!