Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls

I tried a new cinnamon roll recipe the other day. I saw it on bakerella.com and she said they were the best cinnamon rolls she'd ever tasted. I wouldn't call them the best, but they were pretty good.

I halved the recipe and still had 3 1/2 pans. I made a few small modifications, so I'll post it the way I did it. Here is a link to the original. I have pictures this time! (I took them with my phone, so they're not great.)

Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls

2 c milk
1/2 cup oil
1/2 c sugar
1 package (2 1/4 t) yeast
4 c (plus 1/2 c separated) flour
1/2 t (heaping) baking powder
1/2 t (scant) baking soda
1/2 T (heaping) salt
1/4 c butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
Generous sprinkling of cinnamon

Maple Frosting:

1/2 bag powdered sugar
1 t maple flavoring
1/4 - 1/2 c milk
2 T melted butter
Pinch of salt

Mix the milk, oil and sugar in a pan. “Scald” the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in yeast. Let this sit for a minute. Then add 4 cups of flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.

After rising for at least an hour, add 1/2 more cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together.

When ready to prepare rolls: Sprinkle rolling surface generously with flour. Take the dough and form a rough rectangle. Then roll the dough thin, maintaining a general rectangular shape.
Drizzle 1/4 c melted butter over the dough. Now sprinkle sugar over the butter followed by a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
Now, starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough in a neat line toward you. Keep the roll relatively tight as you go. Next, pinch the seam of the roll to seal it.

Grease cake or pie pans. Then begin cutting the rolls (I used floss) approximately ¾ to 1 inch thick and laying them in the buttered pans. (I used two cake pans and one 9x13.)
Let the rolls rise for 20 to 30 minutes, then bake at 375 degrees until light golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.

For the frosting, mix together all ingredients listed and stir well until smooth. It should be thick but pourable. Taste and adjust as needed. Generously drizzle over the warm rolls. Go crazy and don’t skimp on the frosting.


Viola!

1 comment:

Emily Peterson said...

They look yummy! I love the little arm in the picture.