Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Diseased

Tyler has a great job. He loves it and says he can't imagine doing anything else he would love more. Probably not too many people can say that I bet. However, he often has to work long hours, which it no fun for me. I'll spare everyone the details and refrain from ranting, but I would like to document an experience from way back in November.

Tyler rarely (if ever) works only 40 hours a week, but one week in November was especially crazy. He got up super early and came home super late. He took on one break--on Thursday he met me and his family members at Jordan Commons to see the new Harry Potter movie (thanks to Rachelle, we got to see it a day before it came out). After the show, he went right on back to work and stayed until 5:00 PM THE NEXT DAY. He put in close to 80 hours that week. Boo.

The point of the post is, Kate was sick that week. Really sick. Her gums got really bloody and sore and swelled down over her teeth. She was feverish and didn't feel well at all. I took her to the doctor and after one look in her mouth he said, "That looks horrible!" He informed me that she had stomatitis. It is a virus, so the only thing he could tell me to do was to mix children's Benadryl with Maalox and swab it on her gums to ease the pain (and she HATED it). He also said to keep her hydrated because she wouldn't want to eat or drink anything. The poor girl was not a happy camper. She wanted to lay on the couch or in my arms all week. She ate only ice cream and popsicles. Luckily she did take the occasional drink, but I learned the hard way not to give her orange juice. Ouch! I couldn't brush her teeth because it hurt her too badly. I hope I never have to relive that week.

This was how Kate spent most of her days


This is a picture of her mouth after it had started healing. It looked WAY worse before


The worst part of the week was when Kate fell off her stool and landed right on her face. She was left with a bloody mouth and a fat lip. When Ada saw the pool of blood on the floor she started to panic. Not a good day.

6 comments:

Bel said...

Wow I have never heard of that, it does look horrible and so painful. I am so sorry I totally know what its like not to have your hubby home, its seems like at least one of us is always sick when he is gone, that's the worst :( So sorry, that sounds like a very stressful week. Poor little Kate.

Amber said...

I'm so glad that she's feeling better. I know that Zoe got VERY sick the first part of December with a virus that just had to work its way out. And it's super difficult when you're a "single" parent with a sick kiddo. Hooray for healthy kids!

Michelle and Tony said...

That is so sad. All that without your husband there to help. You are a mighty woman. Glad that she got better.

Sabrina said...

Oh, that looks so awful. Poor Kate! I am glad she got through it. I am sure it was hard on both of you.

Angie said...

My poor baby. :(

T.Irwin said...

oh ugh!! that's terrible...poor kid!! She looks perfectly miserable!