Friday, February 11, 2011

Random thoughts

-Jerry Sloan resigned yesterday. I knew he wouldn't be around forever, but I didn't quite expect it to happen in this manner. I'm not gonna lie; I shed a few tears as I watched the press conference and clips about Jerry. I'm a pretty passionate person, especially about sports and the Jazz. I have so many great memories about the Jazz. I remember my dad making me go to bed before games were over and my brother sneaking in my room to give me updates. I remember going to a handful of games, including a playoff game against the Spurs where I got to sit in the lower bowl. I remember when "John Stockton sends the Utah Jazz to the NBA finals" and running around the block with my friend because we were so excited. I remember those two years of the finals, when even my non-sporty older sister got into the Jazz: her ordering a Jazz cake for the family; going to the airport with her to greet the Jazz after they swept the Lakers; her disdain for all things Bulls (even now that she's a Chicago resident). I remember my younger sister crying after the Jazz lost to the Bulls and saying that she didn't think she could ever be happy again. The Jazz were a big part of my childhood and I will miss Jerry greatly.

Here's a picture of Tyler and me with Jerry and Phil Johnson. My bro-in-law somehow scored some tickets to a season ticket holders-only dinner and he graciously game them to us. It was fun to meet Jerry and Phil and get their autographs.


-January is usually a very bleak month, but somehow I kept so busy that it flew right by. The highlight of the month was a visit from my sister's family. We watched BYU games, went to dinner, and had a tea party with the girls.

-Thank goodness for book club. It is a lifesaver for me. Last night was just what I needed; I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. I love all those ladies!

-Tyler works a lot. Sometimes I want to sell my girls. Thank goodness I have BYU basketball to keep my hopes up. I can't wait to go to the New Mexico game on March 2nd and the MWC tournament the week after that. Then there's the Big Dance. Good times are ahead!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Yeah, I am not happy to hear the Jerry Sloan news. He was a really good coach. I have fond memories of watching the Jazz, especially in my high school days. I recall very vividly watching that shot by John Stockton that sent the Jazz the finals for the first time, and I remember how upset I was in game 6 against the Bulls when the Jazz got some ridiculously bad calls that even the announcers were admitting while watching the replays, and seeing the Jazz lose by a few points and not a get a chance at game 7. I still hate the Bulls too :) Brett was a Bulls fan during all that time. I am not sure how we get along with all our sporting allegiences so different. Anyway, whew, sorry for the long ramble. Super sad about Jerry. I hope he enjoys his retirement. He'll be missed.

Amber said...

I am not ashamed at all to admit that I cried a little. I feel like my grandpa died. How AWESOME is it that you got a picture with Sloan and Johnson?!