Friday, March 25, 2011

Partners in crime


Oh, these girls. They always keep me on my toes. Since I've been extra tired lately, I've had a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. The girls usually wake me up a few times in the morning, but then get busy playing and allow me to get more sleep. They play really well together (when they're not fighting), which has been so nice for me. Sometimes, however, they have a little too much fun. Here are some things that have happened in just the last week or so:

-While at my mom's, they were playing in the front room and pulled some petals off one of her flower decorations. Ada's justification: "We needed something to put in our soup."
-A few days ago I got in the car to pick Ada up from school and noticed that everything was askew. It's not uncommon for them to mess things up in the car before we get the chance to buckle them up, but this time they snuck in the car before I got out of bed and somehow broke the visor off on the passenger side. Big trouble for two little girls.
-The other day I was sitting at the computer while they were coloring at the table and I heard one of them say, "We're coloring Minnie!" I looked over and found them coloring all over a place mat (luckily it was on the back) and having the time of their lives. No more markers that day!
-Yesterday while I was cleaning up the kitchen they went into Ada's room and shut the door. When I went to check on them, I found an open box of dishwasher detergent and Kate scooping it into various containers from the kitchen set. I don't know how I didn't catch them sneaking off with that!

I've said it before, but two is a tough age for me. Kate is difficult in different ways than Ada was. She is extremely messy and loves to get into everything. My sister Angie stayed with us last week and admitted that she had an eye-opening experience dealing with Kate. She witnessed Kate hit and kick everyone because she hadn't gotten enough sleep; she had to deal with Kate playing with her sticky piece of candy instead of eating it; she discovered Kate in a puddle of water in the kitchen as she was trying to get herself a drink from the water dispenser on the fridge. (As a side note, she also got puked on by our baby niece as she was trying to feed her a bottle.) Kate is still a sweet girl and generally very agreeable.

Ada can be an angel one day and a terror the next. You never know what you're gonna get with her. She loves to play with Kate (though she's very bossy) but she also yearns for a friend every once in a while. I need to invite her friends over more often. I can't end this post without this delightful story about Ada: last night we had a tough time getting both girls in bed. We soon got into bed ourselves and as I finally got comfy and started clearing my mind, I heard Ada crying. After trying to ignore it and hope it would go away, I finally got out of bed to see what was up. Ada was standing in Kate's room facing her CD player (which was still playing) and bawling. As I walked into the room, I noticed the floor was wet. The girls listened to the same CD that night in their respective rooms and Ada's ended first. When she heard the same thing playing in Kate's room, she went in there very upset because she thought that we took her CD out to play in Kate's room. Apparently she was so upset that she PEED all over the floor! She got in trouble for being in Kate's room (she was very lucky that Kate slept through it all) and I had to struggle with her to change and get cleaned up so she could go back to bed. I then had to go back into Kate's dark room and hope that my scrubbing and spraying was getting all the pee out of the carpet. What a night!

No comments: