Sunday, February 12, 2012

Weekly Letter -- 2/6/12-2/12/12

This week, overall, hasn't been too bad.  After a meltdown on Tuesday night, my attitude has been a bit better and I've been working on showing more patience with the kids.  I think I've just resigned myself to the fact that three kids are hard and will be for a while.

The week didn't start out too great.  As Tyler was leaving work on Monday, he discovered that his car had been broken into.  A window had been broken and his stereo was gone.  He had been listening to a book on CD from the library and one of the discs was unfortunately in the player.  The window has been fixed and he purchased a phone mount for his car so he can listen to music sans CD's (since he won't be replacing his stereo).  He was pretty upset that night, so the girls and I went to Grandma Dickson's birthday party without him.  We enjoyed a delicious spaghetti dinner courtesy of Lee.  I was shocked that Kate ate three servings!  Granny (as she insists that her great-grandchildren call her) got gifts for the little kids and they loved them.  It was a good night.

After school on Tuesday, we went to hang out with Emily, Sally, and Austin before they flew back to Kansas.  Emily made some tasty tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and the kids had fun hanging out.  We didn't get to hang out for too long, but it was fun to have them in town for the week.  Hopefully we can make their stay more exciting when they come next.

Nothing special happened the next few days, except that we got a fun surprise on our doorstep on Wednesday night.  The Young Women in the ward left us some sugar cookies and hearts.  It made the girls (and, quite frankly, me) happy.

Ada's school had an event on Thursday called Dads, Donuts, and Drums.  Tyler took Ada (and Lyla) that evening so that Kate and I could have a little one-on-one time.  I let her pick any treat she wanted and she picked doughnuts!  We went to Dick's since there aren't any doughnut shops in the Bountiful area.  I hope she had fun with her Lyla-less mom!

Speaking of doughnuts, Tyler decided to pick some up for breakfast on Saturday.  I ate two in the morning and two that afternoon.  Yowsa.  Let's just say that I've been doing a terrible job on the healthy lifestyles challenge.  I got a good nap in that day.  I hope that Lyla starts sleeping through the night again soon!  We went to look for carpet for the toy room that evening.  It's almost done!  Tyler had previously looked at Lowe's and we decided to go down to R.C. Willey.  By the time we got out of the house it was dinner time, so we just stopped at the IHOP close by.  The service was poor and the food just okay.  I don't know why we keep going to places like that!  I seriously felt ill afterward and I didn't even eat much (this may or may not have had something to do with the fact that I ate four doughnuts earlier).  I guess you can't always eat where you want to when you have kids.  We had no luck at R.C. Willey so we went to Lowe's and picked out our carpet.  It will probably still be a few weeks before it's installed, but it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I had no idea how much work it would be to get that toy room finished!  Tyler and I watched 'True Grit' after the kids went to bed.  It was an interesting show.  Tyler thought it was stupid.  I liked it, though I do somewhat agree with his assessment.

Kate has been sick the last few days so she stayed home from church today.  I have felt like I'm on the verge of illness all week, but I think I'm going to escape unscathed.  Since Kate was sick, we stayed home from Sunday dinner.  I was thinking about making chicken noodle soup and rolls for dinner but Dude called and offered to drop dinner off to us since Korrin was cooking for the rest of the family.  What do you know--she made chicken noodle soup and rolls!  We are very rarely home on Sunday nights but it was fun to spend time together.  We helped Kate make a Valentine "box" for her  preschool party tomorrow (if she's well enough to go).  She decorated a bucket and we attached a floating balloon to the top so it looks like a hot air balloon.  It was all Tyler's creative idea!  Then we decided to make sugar cookies.  I make them every year for Valentine's Day, but it was nice to have Tyler around to help this time.  He rolled the dough and the kids helped cut out the shapes.  Most of the cookies were heart-shaped but Tyler made sure to add a few angels and stars, just because he's Tyler. 

We have a lot going on this week so it should be a good one.  It's always nice to have stuff to look forward to.  Hasta la vista, ya'll!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I am glad to hear you can still pack away the doughnuts, even if it's against your healthy challenege. I refuse to buy them because my will is too weak to resist them. Also, we went to Red Robin this last week w/ friends and afterward I thought the same thing you did about IHOP. Why go to a place that is just so-so? We keep doing it though. I agree 3 can be pretty challenging especially when no one sleeps. I hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel eventually...