Monday, December 21, 2009

Giddy as a school girl

More than two months later, I'm finally getting around to blogging about school. What a slacker! Ada started preschool in September and she absolutely loves it. It took a little getting used to at first, but now she can't wait to go. The first day didn't turn out exactly like I had pictured it. I had a new outfit picked out for her to wear. She refused to wear it. Time was running out (school starts at 9:00 and she usually sleeps past 8:00), and despite having multiple fits, she finally decided on an old dress with shoes that didn't match. I had no choice since we were going to be late! What a struggle. After only a few times of attending, she learned the Pledge of Allegiance. Often she comes home singing songs that I've never heard. She has such a great memory. She LOVES going to Miss Missy's house to learn and play with her friends. One day they went on a field trip to Wheeler Farm. Ada had such a great time. She even has a carpool buddy. I'm so glad she loves school. Ada's teacher told me that she is the "it" girl that everybody loves. People fight to sit by her. I've had several parents tell me that their kids love to talk about Ada. I used to say that it was because her name was easy to say, but I like to think that it's because she's fun and nice.

In front of Miss Missy's house on the first day.

Ready to start!


In front of our house with her giant Hello Kitty backpack. I think this will be a yearly tradition


After pajama day with her circus hat on

After getting her face painted


Preschool is on Mondays and Wednesdays, and on Tuesdays we do Joy School with two other kids. We actually don't follow any particular curriculum (even though we still call it Joy School). We take turns teaching at our houses and the kids love it. Each day we start with circle time and talk about the weather, calendar, time, Pledge of Allegiance, and numbers. They practice tracing their names, numbers, and letters and then practice writing them in notebooks. We introduce a 'letter of the day' and practice writing that. Then we teach a theme, play games, make a craft, eat a snack, and have play time. It's been fun for me to branch out and find different things to teach my daughter and her friends.

Ada, Keaton, and Millie enjoying their snack

Play time!


In their costumes at their Halloween party. Super Why is pretty lucky to be between two beautiful fairies!

Painting with watercolors

Tasting different things during our Five Senses lesson

Birthday party for Keaton!

6 comments:

Shanny said...

I love that her teacher is Miss Missy.

Looks like Ada's having lots of fun!

Sabrina said...

So fun. I want to start having Adie do some sort of preschool. I haven't decided on if we'll just do a co-op / joy school type thing or actually pay to take her some place. That's fun that you do both. It looks like Ada really enjoys it. I bet you don't mind some of the free time it gives you too :)

Bel said...

Bri loves Ada and is really happy to be her carpool buddy. It's so great to have them be in school together, they are having lots of fun. I am excited for their Xmas performance tomorrow, thanks for asking Missy those questions for me ;)

Rachelle said...

Everyone loves Ada because she IS so cute and fun! I like that you do Joy school too. Great idea!

Tiff-E said...

Wow! You are an award winning mom...preschool AND joy school...way to be! And no curriculum my eye, you are doing so great teaching them tons! I am way impressed...can we come to your joy school, it sounds better than Kaylie's preschool, that I pay for!!!

Missy said...

I am so glad that Ada likes preschool. We love her!