Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Les Miserables

I have been completely smitten with Les Mis lately. Between seeing the show in Fort Worth in September, watching the 25th Anniversary Concert on PBS, viewing the 1998 (non-musical) movie with Tyler, and crying over the movie trailer time and time again, I was anxiously awaiting the release of the movie on Christmas day.

My history with Les Mis: my first viewing of the musical was at Capitol Theater my sophomore year in high school. My parents bought tickets for the entire family to attend, including Grandma Bateman. Sadly, I really only remember the song 'Master of the House' because my grandma was laughing so hard during it. I neither understood nor appreciated it.

Fast forward to probably our second year of marriage. Tyler's former high school performed Les Mis and his brother Jordan played Marius. I think we saw it twice and I became more familiar with the story. It certainly wasn't Broadway quality, but they did a great job for a high school. Then maybe a year later, Tyler and I saw it performed at Pioneer Theatre Company. We were able to score 2nd row seats for really cheap since Tyler was a student. This was a first time I really appreciated it and I bawled like a baby. It was amazing. I have had a deep love for it ever since.

As previously mentioned, we were able to see it in Fort Worth with Angie and Hyrum a few months ago at an incredible performance hall. Once again, amazing. Later, we watched the 1998 movie version. It shed a new light since it was straight acting with no singing. We enjoyed it, though it really can't compare to the musical. A few weeks after that, we happened upon the 25th Anniversary Concert on PBS. I was enthralled and stayed up late watching the whole thing, including the encore. Tyler walked in during the part when Eponine dies and started laughing at me because I was sobbing uncontrollably. That part gets me more than any other. I love Eponine. I feel a kinship toward her. I wish I were as noble as she! Anyway, Tyler felt bad that he was laughing at me, so this is what he said in consolation: "I'm sorry! I've just never seen you look so devastated!" Thanks, hon. Ha ha!

Finally, at the end of December, the long-awaited film version was released in theaters. I really wanted to see it on the 26th since we had plans all day on Christmas, but, alas, it didn't work out. Tyler and I ended up being invited to a free showing on the 28th, though, so we couldn't complain about that. My review? I loved it. Again, the singing wasn't Broadway quality, but where it lacked in singing it made up for in acting. It was so much more emotional (if that's even possible!) and real to me. I was very impressed and I think Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway deserve Oscars for it. I also thought Eponine was fantastic. I read that Samantha Barks beat out Taylor Swift for the role, and let me just say that I am SO glad she did! Taylor might have ruined her for me. I've already seen it a second time and I think I cried even harder then. I can't wait for it to come out on video. It is by far my favorite play/musical. Nothing else even comes close. I am committed now to read the book. I was thinking about finding a good abridged version since so many people I know haven't been able to set through the unabridged, but I've changed my mind. I'm no stranger to 1,000 pagers, so I'm pretty sure I can handle it. I just can't believe I've waited so long to pick it up!

4 comments:

T.Irwin said...

I love your review. I saw part of an an old movie of it in high school.... I saw it at the Capitol Theater and fell in love.

I haven't had the chance to see it in theaters yet, but I'm eager to see it because the trailers look so emotional. I'm glad to see your review is what I'm sure I will feel. :)

Becky said...

Amen to your comments! I dare say it is my favorite movie and musical ever! I bawled like a baby! :) I've only seen it once but I hope to see it again before it leaves the big screen!

Shanny said...

My history with Les Mis: I started reading the book (unabridged) 2 months ago. I know NOTHING about it. How is that even possible, right? I am determined to finish the book before I watch the movie (I'm about halfway through) - but your review is making me anxious to get through it!

Rachelle said...

I have been obsessing over it lately too. I just downloaded an abridged version and I'm going to try it out.