Monday, February 12, 2007

Full-time Job?

So ever since I've had a baby, I've heard people say that being a mom is a "full-time job". Although I understand what they're trying to get at, I don't think that term quite cuts it. Believe me, I've done my share of full-time work, and I just don't see the comparison. With full-time employment at least you can put your eight hours in and then call it quits for the rest of the day (unless, I suppose, you're a work-a-holic and can't quite seem to rid yourself of anything work-related). Having a baby is oh-so much more than that. With a baby, you work the day shift, night shift, and graveyards all in the same day. Every day. You don't get vacation days, sick days, or holidays. There's no leaving early or calling it quits. The only thing you get is an occasional break, and then it's right back into the thick of things.

I guess I've had a rough go lately, although things have improved. I'm not complaining, though, I'm just telling it how it is. Babies are tough. Just when you think you've got them figured out, something changes, and there's usually no explicable reason. Ada is a fussy girl and I still have a hard time figuring out what's wrong with her, but she sure is fun. I'd take her over a full-time job any day.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I know I am new to this so I don't speak with as much experience, but all I have to say is Amen, Sister! Sounds like you may have had as hard a day as I had today. Babies are adorable, but they are tough. I don't think anyone can adequately prepare you for that.