Monday, October 22, 2007

The Best of Both Worlds

The top story on Friday night's newscast was that Hannah Montana would be opening up another show in Salt Lake City. So what did I do on Saturday morning at 10:00 a.m. sharp? Go online and get four tickets before they all sold out! Okay, actually, Tyler's sister called Friday night and asked if we would get online and try to score some tickets for them. Her 8- and 6-year-old daughters are obsessed (and I later found out her 3-year-old is too). She recuited some brothers-in-law as well as us to jump on to get them tickets, since they'd be gone at soccer games. Since Tyler has a laptop with wireless internet, we both got on to double our chances. Tyler was actually trying to buy tickets for himself (that Miley is so hot!). Okay, he wanted to make a profit by selling them on eBay. But he had no such luck. All sold out. The brothers-in-law had no luck either. I guess I'm the only one with the magic touch, because I got them four tickets at the price they were looking for. I guess I'm the favorite aunt for a while.

Apparantly Hannah Montana is all the rage among pre-teen girls (and girls like my 21-year-old sister). I've seen the show a few times on Disney Channel and I do admit to liking it more than their other shows. But I'm not into the music. I've always been pretty picky about what I like to listen to, and even when I was little I didn't get into all the popular stuff. For example, in jr. high when everyone was crazy about Q99, I stuck with X96. After high school, all my friends loved Dave Matthews Band. My friend Holly even bought me a $50 ticket to their concert in Denver. A bunch of us drove there in her parents' Suburban, but the concert still didn't sway me (and I quickly got sick of listening to them on the drive). My tastes are very particular, and I'm usually not one to go crazy about something just because it's popular. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. I wonder what Ada will be like when she gets older. If she gets into all the stuff that every other girl is crazy about, I'll support her. But I wonder if something like music taste is inherited? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

6 comments:

tysqui said...

Is this why you're a Libertarian?

Sabrina said...

You do have great taste in music, Al...usually. DMB, at least back in the days before Everyday really had some amazing music. Different strokes for different folks.

McKell said...

Wow you are pretty amazing!!! I don't think I would be so lucky to score tickets... I hadn't even heard they were doing a show so I didn't get the chance to even try :( boo hoo...

Spencer said...

DMB... Just dreadful.

Spencer said...

Apologies all around for my harsh-sounding DMB comment. I'm not a fan, but I can't deny the man has talent. So ... sorry Dave and fans (past and present). Chalk it up to a bad day at the office.

Amber said...

What is the deal with Hannah Montana? My nieces both dressed up as her for Halloween, and they went to her concert. Tyler told them that he went and had them going for a few hours until they asked me if he really went. There's Ty for you, always a joker!