Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Twilight



For anyone who hasn't read or finished these books but plans to, stop reading now! I just felt like voicing my opinion on Stephenie Meyer's series since I've heard so many people talking about it lately.

First of all, the only reason I read the books is because my mother-in-law insisted I read Twilight. All the girls in the family had read it but me. I'm normally not a bandwagon jumper (I've never seen 'The Office', even though everyone and their dog raves about it), but I borrowed a copy and read it. I didn't really like it. Something just didn't sit right with me. It has taken me a long time to figure out why, but I think there are a couple reasons. First, I didn't quite understand why Bella and Edward so quickly fell madly in love with each other. Did Bella just like Edward because he was so good-looking? Did Edward just like Bella because he liked her 'scent'? I couldn't stand the fact that they were constantly fighting and keeping things from each other. Also, most of the book seemed really slow-moving, until the very end when it was suddenly action-packed. The whole book just sat weird with me.

I almost didn't read the other books, but I'm glad I did. I really liked New Moon and Eclipse. I liked Jacob a lot and I liked who Bella was with him. They told each other everything and really got to know each other. I was sad that she was leading him on so much. Even though she did have feelings for him (and he knew that; that's why he was constantly pursuing her), she shouldn't have let things get out of hand like they did because she knew that she could never be without Edward. She told Jacob that, but she always left him with a glimmer of hope nonetheless. I got to like Edward a lot after he stopped being so overprotective. He really was more mature than Jacob and I was glad that he started giving her more freedom. The ending was good, but I was really sad for Jacob. Overall, I did like the series. Most people seem to like the first book the best, but it was definitely my least favorite. Also, I've talked to a lot of people who hated Jacob, but I really liked him and sympathized with him. It's not great writing or anything, but it is entertaining and makes for good discussion.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

These books are everywhere. I haven't read them yet, but am tempted...sort of. There is something about reading about a vampire that kind of deters me, but I am sure I'll eventually give in.

On the subject of The Office, we haven't seen it either. You are practically the only other person I have heard say that. Although I am tempted because I hear it really is that hilarious. We have some friends who said the next time we get together we're watching the first season, so we'll see.

Becky said...

You are the only person I've heard that didn't like Twilight. But I can see why. I have only read Twilight (I'm trying to get my hands on the other two) but I really enjoyed it! I can't wait to read the other books!

A Good Husband said...

Hey there! I just discovered your blog, thanks to Melissa.

I have also never read Twilight, or watched but one episode of the American Office (the British one, on the other hand...much funnier), nor do I plan to. Thanks for the review, though!

Mrs. Egg said...

hey, i grew up with tyler just so you know who is posting on your site but i agree with you. i did enjoy the twilight series but in the end i felt very bad for jacob and i wasn't very impressed with her writing. but still excited for the 4th book. love your blog.

McKell said...

I've never even heard of these books.....