Thursday, July 15, 2010

Classic White Layer Cake

This is the cake I made for Kate's birthday. I baked it in an Ariel-shaped pan. Unfortunately, it overflowed in my oven. Then, when I was trying to remove it from the pan, I dropped it on the floor and it became a giant mess of crumbs. I ended up having to borrow a cake mix so I could have an Ariel cake for Kate in time for the party (and for Morgan to decorate it). Tyler and I salvaged what we could and it was delicious. I'll have to try it again in a more friendly-shaped pan.

Classic White Layer Cake

1 cup whole milk, at room temp.
6 large egg whites, at room temp.
2 t. almond extract (optional)
1 t. vanilla extract
2 1/4 c. cake flour (if you don't have, use 7/8 c. all purpose flour and 2 T. cornstarch for 1 cup cake flour)
1 3/4 c. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
12 T. unsalted butter, softened
Whisk milk, egg whites, and extracts together in a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
Whisk flour, sugar, b. powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Beat flour mixture and butter together with an electric mixer until the mixture resembles moist crumbs.
Beat in all but 1/2 cup of the milk mixture. Increase the speed to med. and beat until smooth, 1 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture.
Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350, 25-30 min. for a 9x13, 20-25 min. for rounds.

2 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joey and Nettifer said...

I love all your recipes! I think you should add pictures when you bake these or let me come over and taste test them for you ;)