Monday, March 5, 2007

"Litle; Womenn


A couple of years ago, Tyler and I got a gift card to Borders. I can't remember the main item we used it on (I think it was a Harry Potter movie or something), but we had about $10 left and Tyler said I could pick something out. I noticed in the book section a bunch of classics published as "Borders Classics", and they were all $10. They were all hardcover, so I thought this was a pretty good deal. I decided to get Little Women since I'd never read it. Well, I finally got around to it a couple of weeks ago, and today I finally finished it. It was, of course, excellent. I really loved it, and I don't know why I had never read it before. I love the movie too, but the book is even better. However, I did have a major problem with the version of the book I read. There were so many spelling and punctuation mistakes that I don't know how they got away with putting it in print. I know that it had to be that particular version, because there is no way that a real classic would have that many mistakes. I should get the real version from the library sometime to see the difference. I'm pretty good at being able to point out mistakes in grammar, spelling, etc., but I think even an idiot could tell something was amiss. Just about every mistake imaginable was present: misspelled words (words with extra letters, words with missing letters, words with letters transposed), missing quotation marks (some quotes would start with one but not end with one), semicolons in the middle of sentences... I could go on. It's like someone retyped the whole thing but forgot to turn on the spelling and grammar check. There was even one instance where the main character's name, Jo, was spelled "Joe". It was quite comical. So, I definitely recommend the book, but would suggest you splurge and not purchase the cheap wanna-be version.

No comments: