Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bad Habits


For the longest time, I've had the notion to keep Ada away from TV until she's two (except for one Baby Einstein show a day while I shower). Well, for the last month or so I've done very poorly at following my own rules. It all started with Ada throwing tantrums while I tried to dress her, change her diaper, or fix her hair. The only way I could distract her enough to let me do it was to turn on PBS or Disney Channel. She's now practically addicted (and still won't let me do anything without the TV on). She'll turn the TV on herself and ask for shows. Her favorites are Sesame Street, Super Why (she calls it "Super White"), and Curious George. But she likes lots of others too. I try not to let her watch too much in a day, but it's so easy to get stuff done while she's mesmerized by the television!

She's also become addicted to sweets. I can't blame the girl, since I am as well. I can't go a day without something sweet (and usually several things). Lately she's been taking long naps, and she's really upset when she wakes up. The only way I can get her to settle down is to give her candy! I'll have to come up with a substitution for that one too, but nothing else seems to make her happy. Conversation Hearts are keeping me sane right now.

Well, getting dressed, etc. isn't the only thing that makes her throw tantrums. The littlest things set her off lately, and she throws several every day. She used to be really good away from home, but she now throws tantrums anywhere and everywhere. She's so dramatic too. She'll throw herself to the ground and fling her head back (sometimes hurting herself) and kick her legs. It's actually kind of funny sometimes. I try to ignore her most of the time. I've decided that she's already started the Terrible Twos. I had my suspicions, and they were confirmed when Tyler's sisters said that their kids started at around 18 months. Hopefully they don't last too long!

On a more positive note, Ada continues to amaze us every day. In the last three or so weeks her vocabulary skills have really taken off. She now regularly puts two and three words together and can say a few short sentences. Before too long I'm sure she'll be saying many more! We can't even count the number of words she can say. She's a little chatterbox. She just knows and remembers so much! She knows most major colors, the names of all 10 of her cousins and her aunts & uncles, most animals and the sounds they make, most of the characters on Sesame Street, the difference between Grandma & Grandpa Dickson and Grandma & Grandpa Squire, the names of some of her friends...I could go on and on. We love watching her learn. She's very entertaining!

6 comments:

Angie said...

She sounds very much like her mother was at one time, who wouldn't even let HER mother do her hair.

alisquire said...

She HATES getting her hair done, but at least she doesn't mess it up afterwards.

Sabrina said...

Oh man, Ads just turned one, but she is already acting like that too. She throws tantrums all the time, especially when I am changing her clothes or diaper, or after she wakes up from a nap. It drives me nuts. I don't blame you for doing what you can do to keep some sanity. She continues to be absolutely gorgeous though and it sounds like she's so smart.

Becky said...

She and Amelia must be related...or at least the same age. You totally described Amelia. I am not quite as good about TV as you. I let them have an hour a day, plus a movie while I make dinner. But it's kindof hard not to let Amelia watch when I have a 3 year old who I do let watch. Anyway, it's always a rollercoaster of emotions with her. Is it a girl thing?

tysqui said...

yes. It's a girl thing.

Jenn said...

I'm happy to discover that I'm not the only one! Henry is the WORST with sugar (as am I), and I fear that I've turned him into a bad eater for life because of it. It's all these little things we do to get them to behave . . . and then they come to expect them. Henry demands his lollipop the second we enter the grocery store! And as soon as that's done, he asks for fruit snacks! He also loves all of those TV shows, and I agree that it's so hard to not let them just watch as much as they want to. At least those PBS shows are pretty good (and we're now into The Little Einsteins, which at least make parents feel better about what they're plopping their kids in front of).
So I guess what happens is that we start parenthood swearing that we're never going to let our kids start these "bad habits," only to discover that they are, in some cases, the only way to survive parenthood! No wonder everyone falls into the traps. So don't feel bad -- you're not alone. I think everybody develops these habits with their kids eventually, whether they like to admit it or not!