Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hell must have frozen over

Two nights ago I did something I told myself I'd never do: I signed up with facebook. I'm not sure why. It has been a difficult week with the kids. I was up late letting Kate cry it out in her crib, and I needed something mindless to do. One thing led to another and...

It's been on my mind lately because every other day Tyler comes home from work with something new (although not important) to say about my sister Angie in Chicago, her husband Hyrum, or our brother-in-law Neal in Kansas City that he read on facebook. I guess I just can't handle him knowing all this stuff that I don't. He likes to tease me about it, and I folded.

I'm not sure if I'm glad I signed up or not. I already waste way too much time on the 'net. I've said all along that I already keep in touch with everyone I care to, but I have already found an old friend that I had lost touch with. I guess at least one good thing has come out of it.

4 comments:

JTENMAN said...

Facebook is great for keeping in touch. You won't have enough time to waste on there like a lot of people I know. I love facebook for that one reason.

T.Irwin said...

I had a tought time caving in to facebook demands from my friends, too. But I have reconnected with friends from my past that I lost touch with when we moved...that's been pretty fun. I don't log in there as much as most of my friends, but about once a week I'll log in, just to see what's going on. I'll see you there, I'm sure.

Juanton said...

I don't think Facebook has to be a serious relationship requiring daily attention. I typically log in about once a week is all and have yet to add a single application. It's just nice to get occasional updates about how friends you don't talk to regularly are doing.

Clark said...

I can't really figure out what facebook is for. I signed up maybe a year ago. I am now "friends" with a bunch of people, mostly ones that I went to high school with, and who I was never friends with in real life. I talk to no one through facebook, and no one that I re-found via facebook. Occasionally (regularly) people sent me buttons, plants, throw snowballs at me, invite me to join the "bring back squeeze-its" group and a myriad other things. I just don't get it. Other than perhaps being a decent database for finding someone you haven't seen in ages (though it hasn't proven useful for that) I can't find any real point to facebook. Maybe you'll find one.