Saturday, June 12, 2010

Two months ago...

I took at trip to Kansas! I left the hub and kids behind and took a nice little vacation. Angie and Hyrum were planning on going and talked me into it. Then I talked Abby into going, and when Emily found out we were all going she invited my parents along for the ride! Too bad we couldn't get Dude to come.

Emily and Neal live in Overland Park (near Kansas City) and had just had their second child. I'd never been to visit in the 4+ years they've lived there, so I decided this was the time to go! Neal had a break from his residency stuff so he was around the entire time. We weren't there for too long and really didn't do a lot, but we had lots of fun. The girls ate out at a Thai restaurant while the guys went to a Royals game (I was really torn on which to do), we got frozen custard, went shopping, played games, watched a movie, played wiffle ball, and had a barbecue. On Sunday, little baby Austin (the first man-child grandkid for my parents) was blessed and we had lunch afterward. Ang & Hy and my parents left that day, but Abby and I stayed until Monday. We were able to go to Independence, MO and Liberty Jail before we flew back home.

The girls who shopped. There was an awesome shopping center and my sisters talked me into a very indulgent (for me) purchase from J. Crew. I justified it by having my mom save it for my b-day

All the sisters hangin' out in Emily's very large, pretty yard

Abby, Emily, Mom, Ang, & me

All of the Dickson clan that were present

Me with sweet Austin. Sorry the picture is sideways! My camera battery died, so I had to get all my pictures from my sisters

Sisters again

The Community of Christ temple in Independence, MO. We didn't get to spend much time in Independence. The Community of Christ church was having their worldwide conference, so there were lots of people there. We went to the LDS Visitors' Center and then left (another sideways photo...all apologies)

Liberty Jail, where Joseph Smith and four others were unjustly imprisoned for 4 1/2 months under terrible conditions. It was a humbling experience to visit. My favorite scripture was revealed to Joseph while he was here


It was fun to get away and spend time with my family. I wish I could see my sisters more often! It was a great trip, but I was happy to get home and see Tyler & the girls. I think they missed me.

6 comments:

Michelle and Tony said...

That looks like it was such a fun trip. Good for you for going! Can I say that your hair is looking so red these days...and you are so skinny. What a cute family!

Sabrina said...

How fun that you all got to be there together! And, it's high time your parents got a man child for a grandchild.

Bel said...

What a fun trip and so great you were able to go spend time with your family! Your little nephew is adorable :)

Emily Peterson said...

Thanks again for coming. I can't believe that I've been here for almost 5 years. Crazy how time flies. If you ever want to come back with Tyler and the girls, don't hesitate!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Way to much fun and what a awesome trip to go on!

PS My kids are by no means perfect and I have no patience :) I just must be a sucker!

T.Irwin said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun....It's nice to get away from everything and be with the family.