Monday, January 23, 2012

Family Letter -- 1/16/12-1/22/12

Oh, another week has come and gone.  I'm getting better at this letter thing--I'm actually documenting a few days earlier than I normally do!  Not much happened last week.  On Tuesday night I went to a Relief Society activity while Tyler watched kids in the nursery.  There was one other guy helping him and there were 19 kids in there!  It was a popular activity because a former contestant from The Biggest Loser came to talk to us.  She was really cool and said lots of good things.  If you want to be healthy and/or lose weight, a diet isn't going to cut it.  You need to change your lifestyle.  She lost 125 pounds from the show but she still exercises for two hours a day and consumes around 1200 calories to maintain her new weight.  She has completely changed her eating habits and is healthier and happier than ever.  She looks great! 

I actually got out of the house a few times on Wednesday during the day.  Lyla and I went to Target while the girls were at school.  After they got home, we all went to pick up some prescriptions and to the library.  The kids had fun picking out lots of books and I picked up some books for book club.  It was nice to get away and the girls were actually really good, even though Ada didn't want to go.  She is a total homebody. 

On Thursday night, Tyler took Ada and Kate to a Utah basketball game while Ly and I went to book club.  I love book club.  There are eight of us and we meet once a month to hang out and discuss a book.  We discussed 'Mrs. Mike' and then it was my turn to pick the next book.  I chose 'Mrs. Dalloway' by Virginia Woolf.  I've never read it, so I hope it's good.  I stayed out way too late but had lots of fun with my friends.

Ada went to a birthday party on Friday evening so the rest of us decided to get out.  We decided to eat dinner at Village Inn since Kate loves pancakes so much.  Ada has been invited to so many birthday parties but Kate hasn't been invited to any without Ada also being invited.  We thought we better do something special for Kate so she wouldn't feel bad about not getting to go.  I would have preferred to get ice cream or something, but Tyler and I aren't eating sweets during the week.  The food was okay (really, what can you expect from Village Inn, right?).  Kate started getting sick that night, so she really didn't have the best time.  Ada had fun at her party, though.  They all wore pajamas and had their nails and makeup done, ate dinner, decorated cupcakes, and watched a movie.  Something monumental happened that night: all three kids slept through the night!  It was glorious.  It hasn't happened since, but it gave me a little bit of hope.  Kate was doing pretty well at staying in her bed until she got sick.  I hope Lyla starts sleeping through the night again soon.

Tyler got a lot of painting done on Saturday.  The toy room is coming along slowly but surely.  I can't wait until it's all finished.  I pretty much sat around and watched basketball most of the day.  I did get the bathroom cleaned at least.

Kate informed us on Sunday morning that her ear hurt.  While Ada, Lyla, and I went to church, Tyler took Kate to an Instacare-type place to get her checked out.  Sure enough, she has an ear infection and is on antibiotics.  Besides her ear, she's had a fever and a cough.  I really hope nobody else get this, especially Lyla.  Kate and Ada can't keep their hands off of her despite the fact that I tell them to a million times a day.  I always end up getting mad at them and then they get their feelings hurt.  Anyway, we watched some football and were sad at the outcomes of both games.  I'm not excited about the Patriots and Giants playing in the Superbowl.  I wish they could both lose!

Tyler and I are going strong with our healthy lifestyles challenge, though I've had a harder time doing it this week.  I've stayed strong, though.  I even turned down pie at book club. 

Lyla has always wanted to eat at least every two hours.  Last week I started feeding her about 2 1/2 hours and it's gone pretty well.  She still cries a lot.  She won't take a binky.  She likes to use me as one instead or suck on her fist.  I tried a few different kinds of them last week but it was to no avail.  Ada and Kate were obsessed with their binkies, so this is new to me.  At least I won't have to worry about weaning her from one when she's older.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable week.  Ciao.

1 comment:

Shanny said...

Ella never took a binky either. Just Mom. It was so frustrating at the time, but now I am really glad for it. So it will pay off in the end!

I love your family letters, by the way. Keep em coming.