Sunday, January 29, 2012

Family Letter -- 1/23/12-1/29/12

Well look at me getting this letter done early!  It has been quite a week.  The first half of the week was very difficult for me.  Ada and Kate have been fighting a lot and I just couldn't handle it.  Kate has been especially difficult.  She is quite the crazy 3-year-old.  I was almost at a breaking point on Tuesday night.  I was ready to kick this healthy living stuff to the curb.  Somehow I resisted temptation.  On Wednesday night I told Tyler that I really needed a break from the kids or I was going to go crazy.  I was seriously about to have a mental breakdown.  Well, Korrin was a Godsend.  The next day she called me and said that her girls really wanted to play with Ada and Kate.  She invited them over on Friday afternoon.  She totally saved the day!  Even though the fighting didn't really stop, the last half of the week was much more bearable for me.

Kate had to stay home from school on Monday because she was sick.  That night we had a lot of errands to run so we decided to eat dinner at Texas Roadhouse.  Ada had been begging to go on a Monday night because they have a magician do magic tricks for the kids.  To her disappointment, there was no magician but we still enjoyed ourselves and our food.   

The next few days were the toughest for me.  I don't really have much else to say about them.

I'd been putting it off, but on Thursday I had to go to Target for some errands and I had to take all three kids.  Lyla was an angel but the other two struggled, especially Kate.  I was starting to get really annoyed when we all noticed a (not-so-) little girl on the floor throwing a huge tantrum.  Ada and Kate quieted down and just stared.  This girl was seriously screaming and flailing.  Her poor mom was trying to ignore her but then finally picked her up.  The girl continued to scream for several minutes and my girls kept quiet on their own accord after that.  I must say that I felt much better!  Things can always be worse.  I went visiting teaching for an hour before and an hour after Target, so it was a long day away from home.  It would have been a nice break except that Kate was not nice to my companion's poor little 1-year-old girl.  She does not do well with kids younger than she is.

Friday was a good day.  I got to go to Ada's kindergarten class to spotlight her.  My sweet friend Vanessa stayed with the little girls at home while I went.  Since Ada's birthday is in July, she got to be the Star of the Week this week.  She got to be the line leader all week and was very proud of that.  I made a poster about Ada and talked to her class about her.  We read her favorite book, Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog by Dr. Seuss.  We also handed out treats to the class.  She wanted Skittles, but the only fun-size ones at the store came in a bag with Starbursts also.  Well, every single kid wanted Skittles and there were only about six packs in the whole bag!  I felt bad turning them all down.  I hope they enjoyed their Starbursts.  That afternoon is when Korrin watched the kids and Lyla and I ended up sleeping the entire three hours that they were there!  It was wonderful.  That night Tyler picked up Chinese food for dinner and got a movie for us all to watch.  I think this is only about the second time we watched a movie together as a family.  The girls wanted The Smurfs.  We popped some corn and watched away.  It was pretty lame but Ada and Kate enjoyed it.  They thought it was hilarious.

Ada was invited to another birthday party on Saturday.  This was her first party of someone that she met at school.  She had a great time with all her school friends.  I forced Kate to take a nap that afternoon because she had been waking up way too early and was not pleasant to be around.  Luckily she obliged and it made the rest of the day much better.  We all went to our niece Reese's birthday party at Jungle Jim's in Midvale.  It was lots of fun for the girls.  I got to sneak away for a bit to use up an Old Navy Groupon that expired that day.  I wish I could go shopping by myself more often!  A little retail therapy is always good for the soul.  After the party we decided to go to IKEA to get stuff for the toy room.  Morgan and Jordan joined us.  We ate dinner there and made some good purchases.  I could spend all day in that place!  I was originally planning in watching the BYU/St. Mary's game that night but after hearing the outcome I wasn't sad I missed it.  Tyler and I were originally planning on staying up until midnight like we did the week before so we could enjoy some sweets (Sunday is our free day for the healthy living contest) but I was just too tired to do it.  Kate actually stayed in her bed all night but Lyla had a bad night and kept me up a lot.  I'm actually not minding 1:00 church because I was able to sleep in until 10:30 or so today.

Church was good, but it's hard with a baby.  Lyla was struggling.  She's loud even when she isn't crying.  I have a feeling that it will only get worse as she gets older.  Dinner was fun at Mom and Dad's tonight though.  I made black bottom cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for dessert and they were delish.  Dad had found lots of our old books and had us sort through them and take the ones we wanted.  It was fun looking through them.  I grabbed a bunch and tonight I started reading Ramona the Pest to Ada.  I can't wait to read them all!  Oh, the memories.

This week looks to be another busy one with the Petersons coming to town.  I can't wait! 

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Im sorry the first part of the week was bad. :( I agree about the shopping therapy, it always seems to work for me.