Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Family Newsletter -- 1/2/12-1/8/12

Last week I failed to mention that Kate started going to Primary at church. She gave the opening prayer on her very first day and did a great job. Ada also gave the scripture that day. She recited Jacob 6:12 from memory.

It was nice to get back into the swing of things last week. Ada started school again on Tuesday and I started taking Christmas decorations down. There was a lot of drama that day, however. Ada pulled the Halloween candy out that had been on the shelf for weeks. I told them they could each eat one piece. I later tried taking a nap, but it didn't really happen because Ada and Kate couldn't stop fighting. Ada then came in and asked if she could have more candy. I said she couldn't because she'd already had some and because she and Kate were fighting too much. She kept begging and trying to open a piece right in front of me. I told her I'd throw all the candy away if she ate some. She left the room. I few minutes later I walked out and found both girls happily chomping on candy. I promptly got their buckets and took them downstairs to the big garbage can. When they realized what was happening they tried to talk me out of it, but they had been warned. They were both hysterically crying and I couldn't help but laugh. Lots of craziness then ensued, but things finally calmed down. I hope they learned their lesson!

Tyler and I started a healthy living challenge with most of his family members. We can get a possible five points every day: one point each for drinking 60 oz of water, eating at least four fruits and veggies, exercising for 20 minutes, refraining from treats, and accomplishing a personal goal. My goal is to eat more protein. The hardest thing for me last week was actually the exercising. I went walking with a friend one night but that was it. I've done much better this week so far. I have definitely been eating healthier and I think everyone in the family has also. I'm also trying to cut back on processed foods. We'll see how long we can go, but it's been really good for us thus far.

Saturday was a busy day. We all went to the Utah basketball game at noon. It was a close game that they lost. They seem to be improving--Tyler saw them get their first conference win on Thursday night. After the game, we went to University Hospital to visit Grandpa Bateman. He is recovering from triple bypass surgery. He is still in a lot of pain and can't get much sleep or eat much, but he seemed pretty good nonetheless. Marilyn, for some reason, couldn't stop talking about how beautiful his hair is. I got a kick out of that. As we were leaving, Alan and his entire family (minus Kim, who was working) showed up. It was good to see them, as it doesn't happen very often. We then grabbed some lunch and went to Home Depot to buy paint for the toy room. I picked out a light turquoise for most of the walls and a mustardy yellow for accents. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Morgan and Jordan then came over to hang out. Tyler had stacked all the new paint on the stairs in the basement, and when Morgan looked down to check on Brynlee, she found quite the sight: turquoise paint spilled at the bottom of the stairs! We all ran down and the can had tipped over and lost its lid. All I could do was just stand with my hand over my mouth. While trying to figure out what happened, we noticed Kate wasn't around, but there was crying coming from the spare bedroom. There was a trail of turquoise footprints leading to the room. We're still not quite sure how it happened, but Kate somehow knocked the can over. Her feet were covered in paint and there were plenty of footprints to illustrate it. Oh, what a night! Pictures will be posted soon. We cleaned up what we could but realized that we weren't going to get it out at the bottom of the stairs. We'll probably cover it with a rug until we can get new carpet. We really hate the carpet in our house, so we're not sad about that; we just wish we could replace it in the upstairs family room first! Oh well. We finished the night playing on the xBox Kinect. It's a lot of fun!

There's nothing else really noteworthy from our week. Here's to another eventful week (but hopefully with only good events this time)!

No comments: