Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Family Letter -- 1/9/12-1/15/12

Last week was a pretty uneventful week. Tyler worked on the toy room as much as he could and I did my usual mom stuff. On Monday we watched Alabama kick LSU's butts. I'll miss college football. I did do one thing out of the ordinary, though—I went and played church basketball! Our ward had eight people show up and the other ward had zero, so we did a little 4-on-4 scrimmage. I am sorely out of shape and not very good, but it was fun to run around. I think I'll plan on going again!

Tyler and I have been doing very well on our healthy lifestyle challenge. All of us have been eating much healthier for the most part. The girls have been enjoying lots of fruit. The other day I found Ada and Kate eating handfuls of spinach and lettuce. This isn't uncommon for Ada, but for Kate it's monumental! I have really embraced this thing. For lunches, I usually eat salad with lots of veggies, beans, cottage cheese, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. They're really good! Thanks to Ang for introducing me to them. I made up a muffin recipe by throwing a bunch of stuff together. I didn't measure any ingredients, so I hope I can recreate them sometime. I used a little canola oil, brown sugar, honey, eggs, baking soda, salt, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, oats, applesauce, shredded zucchini, walnuts, and raisins. They were good! Kate ate five the next day! They were good for snacks. I've also been eating fruit or nuts instead of treats for snacks. For breakfast I've been eating either oatmeal or Kashi cereal. A lot less crap is being consumed by the Squire family! I hope we can all continue these habits.

Kate's nights of not sleeping with Tyler were short lived. She started climbing in bed with him again. Lyla still wakes up in the night too, so between the two of them we haven't been getting the best sleep!

On Saturday we enjoyed watching some NFL games (well, at least one game was enjoyable). Tyler kept giving up on the 49ers but I kept telling them that there was plenty of time to come back. That night we went to eat at Five Guys (not healthy, but not against the rules either). It was fun to spend the whole day together.

I taught my first Relief Society lesson on Sunday. The lesson was 'Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself' from the George Albert Smith manual. I was able to use a story from Grandpa Dickson's journal in the lesson. It was from a time he met Pres. Smith. I think the lesson went pretty well. Tyler came to listen and gave me a few pointers that I hope will help. It's nice that I only have to worry about this calling once a month! Sunday night we ate dinner at Mom & Dad's and we brought dessert. Since we only eat dessert once a week now we wanted it to be good. I made Fudgy Cocoa Brownies and hot fudge sauce and Tyler helped me make peppermint ice cream. It was all so good but I felt so sick after I ate it! I guess my body is getting used to less sugar. Perhaps I'll have to eat smaller portions next time.

Kate has taken a new interest in drawing, just like her sister. She can now draw people and draws them all the time. It's the cutest thing! I keep trying to help her learn to write her name but she doesn't seem interested. I think it will come soon. She has a pretty easy name.

I think I jumped the gun when I said that Ada's tantrums were over. She's had some bad moments lately, but at least they're milder and shorter than her former ones. She's a good helper, though. She's been really good about cleaning up after herself.

Lyla is still sweet but fussy. She's sleeping a little bit longer when I set her down at least. I am loving her name more and more. It always takes me a while to feel like I picked the right name, but Lyla's is feeling good! Maybe it's because it's so easy to use nicknames with her. I love calling her Ly, Lyla Ly, Little Ly, My Ly, and Lysqui. I just love her.

Well, it's adieu for another week. Peace out.

No comments: