Monday, July 14, 2008

Preggo no more

I'm sure everyone knows that I had my baby by now. Everything went really well. I had an appointment on Wednesday and the doctor stripped my membranes. I was a little sore all day, and then around bedtime I started contracting. The contractions came at full force and I couldn't sleep at all. They were pretty inconsistent, so I had to wait around all night. They were worse than I remember them being when I had Ada. Around 4:00 or so I couldn't take it anymore, so we packed up the car and took Ada to my parents' house. By this time they were pretty close together (oddly enough, when I would lie down they were further apart, but when I was on my feet they were closer together). We arrived at Intermountain Medical Center just before 5:00 a.m. and they got my IV and epidural hooked up right away. I was dilated to 5 1/2 cm (I was 2 1/2 at my appointment). I thought I'd have plenty of time to rest and get some sleep before it was time to deliver, but they baby's heart rate was a little low and the doctor came in to put on a scalp monitor to get a better reading. I was having a contraction when she went to put it in, and she paused for a minute and said to us surprisingly, "You're fully dilated!" I can't believe how fast that happened! So we got all ready to start pushing. The doctor put up a mirror so I could see everything. It was a little weird, but cool to see her come out! I only pushed three times. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck, so we got her out really fast. She didn't cry at all, but she was totally fine. Kate Amelia Squire was born Thursday morning (the 10th) at 7:37. She weighed 6 lb 14 oz and was 20.5 inches long. She wanted to eat right away and caught on to that really quickly (although it's very painful for me right now). She loves to be held but is a good little sleeper. We're so blessed to have her in our lives!

Daddy's girls


Mommy's girls


Sisters


Ready to go home
I can't even say how proud of Ada I am. I really underestimated my little girl. She's been more sensitive and clingy since Kate's arrival, but she's so sweet to her little sister. She loves to talk about her, give her binkie to her, rock her, hold her, and touch her head. I hope she keeps it up.

7 comments:

tysqui said...

My girls are the best!

Shanny said...

I love the picture of her ready to go home. SO CUTE! Good work, Al. She's beautiful.

Becky said...

Congrats, she is SO cute. By the way, I LOVE her name. We wanted to use the name Kate (not sure if we really will though) and her middle name is okay too, I guess.

Rachel said...

Congratulations on your sweet baby girl.

Rachelle said...

Very cute Al! I also love the picture in her carseat. It looks like she is smiling!

eMiLy sLaUgH said...

Congrats! That is awesome about your delivery! Way to go! She is beautiful!

Trent and Whit said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm sorry it's taken me this long to go to your blog and realize that your family has grown, but I'm so happy for you guys! She is a darling little girl and Ada looks like a great big sister. Hope all is well.