Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Brave Little Katester


Oh, it's good to be home. If you haven't read Tyler's blog, Kate's been in the hospital. What started out as our first "adventure" to the ER Thursday night due to a fever became a near-36-hour stay at Primary Children's Medical Center. We were originally told that we'd be in until at least Sunday morning, so it was good to be released early. It was confirmed yesterday afternoon that Kate has a UTI. They did an ultrasound on her kidneys to make sure they were okay, which it seems they are. We're home from the hospital, but she's not through being checked out. Her 2-month check-up is next week and they'll probably test her urine again. Then in 4 weeks she has to have a VCUG to make sure there are no reflux problems with her urine. No fun.

The worst part for me was the ER, but it broke my heart to see her hooked up to so many wires in the hospital too. The ER sucked because she had to have a catheter, IV, and lumbar puncture all inserted within minutes of each other. I cried when they gave her the catheter and had to leave the room during the lumbar puncture. At least most of the results came back pretty quickly and we knew what the problem was early on. I'm so grateful it was "just" a UTI. Seriously, you hear about kids staying at Primary Children's and it seems like such a big deal. Don't get me wrong; this was definitely a big deal because of how young she is, but I'm so glad it wasn't anything worse.

Tyler and I used to have a church calling where we visited LDS families staying at PCMC once a week. We would inform them about church on Sunday, offer any help, and occasionally Tyler helped give blessings. So that place has a special place in my heart. I never thought I'd have to be there with a sick kid (let alone a baby), but it really is as special as everyone says it is. The nurses are awesome and they're so accommodating to the parents. Kate had a nurse (Brandy) all day Friday who was my favorite. I could tell she loved Kate so much, and she just kept telling me how cute Kate is and how she was her favorite. I was happy to see her back today, and I know she was happy to see Kate again. Even though I hate hospitals (especially the smell), this was a good place to be. They're amazing.

Seriously, Kate is the best little baby ever. Everyone kept commenting on how she didn't look sick. She didn't act sick either. She is such a trooper. All the nurses immediately fell in love with her because she would just smile when they came to check on her. It seems like you could always hear a baby crying in one of the neighboring rooms, but Kate really only cried when she was being poked or messed with. She is really tough for such a little sweet heart. When we were at lunch yesterday, she pulled the IV out of her hand. Unfortunately, they had to reinsert it at midnight so she could get more antibiotics. That was not a pleasant experience. But since she did so well and seemed healthy, they decided she could just come home and be on oral antibiotics instead of staying another day and getting more through an IV.

We were supposed to bless Kate at church tomorrow, but that has obviously been postponed. I'm just so glad that she's home and not hooked up to any monitors anymore. I sort of lost it when we got home. Everything just hit me at once and I just sat and hugged my little Kate. She really couldn't have been more perfect. We are seriously so blessed (ha ha!).

Well, it's late and I'm ready to catch up on some sleep. What little sleep I got at the hospital was on a "cot" that folded out from a chair. My king bed has never been so inviting.

Does this look like a sick little girl?

10 comments:

JTENMAN said...

We're glad to here things are not too serious. Hopefully things get completely better quickly. Kate looks great. We will continue to pray for you.

Rachelle said...

I am so glad that you guys are home and that sweet little Kate is ok. That is the worst, scariest thing ever to have a sick child. Love you guys!

Angie said...

That's my sweet girl!

kristi s said...

Hey allison, I am a faithful reader! but never comment... sorry. i wanted to tell you that Ellis had urinary reflux at two months and was on antibiotics for the first three years of her life. It resolved on it's own. We saw Dr cartwright there in Urology- if you are looking for someone goodto work with.
It is so hard to go up to Primary's with your own children. But I am so grateful for that hospital.
We just had a little boy on July 9! We will have to hook he and Kate up someday if she isn't taken by Jackson McIntyre!!
Kristi Sondrup

Audrey said...

Alison, I'm so sorry Kate was sick, and you had to go to the hospital! I had no idea!

If I can ever help, please let me know - I'm just around the corner!

Bruce and Mitzi said...

Sad! I'm so glad she's okay. What a scary thing.

Shannon said...

Alison, I'm so glad Kate is okay. What a scary experience. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Bethers Family said...

Holy crap Dickson! I was reading comments on our blog(we haven't posted in a couple months) and saw your comment. Your girls look like Dicksons. I actually kaiboshed the sports blog last year because of no time and just started a new sports website. It's special to have your own domain, www.jibsports.com

eMiLy sLaUgH said...

That's really scary! I'm glad it was just a UTI too! I'm glad that everything is okay! Brad had to have a lumbar puncture 3 days after we moved here! It was the wrost... but he didn't cry to much with it! His ended up being ear infections! Primary Children's is a great hospital and you are so lucky to have it right there!

Trent and Whit said...

Wow! We had no idea. . .we are glad to hear that she's ok. She sounds like such an angel (and looks like one too!) good luck with everything.