Sunday, March 16, 2008

Bitter with lots of sweet

Yesterday was somewhat of a bittersweet day, although it really was more of a good day than a bad one. I'll start with the bitter:

Ada started getting sick. She actually had a fever on Friday, and then got a runny nose and nasty cough on Saturday. She's about the same today, so we kept her home from church. She just doesn't seem too happy and doesn't want to eat much (except, of course, candy). We found out this morning that her friend Ashton went to the ER for croup, so we thought that's what she had too, but her symptoms are different. Hopefully she doesn't get worse. We've been really lucky, though, because until now Ada and I have stayed healthy this whole horrible winter. That's pretty amazing, since I usually get sick multiple times and because so much crap has been going around. We didn't even catch it when Tyler got it.

BYU lost the conference championship game to UNLV. I've thought all season that UNLV would win since they're on their home court, but I felt pretty good about BYU after the way they'd been playing and the way UNLV was squeaking by opponents. Toward the end of the game when it was still within reach, I told Tyler that as long as Wink Adams didn't start making 3's then BYU still had a chance. Well, just seconds later he hit a 3, and followed that with another 3, a tough bank shot, and yet another 3. Sheesh! That guy's good. But, as long as BYU gets a decent seed I won't feel so bad. Also, the Jazz lost a game that I for sure thought they had. They were up at the end, but managed to give it away to the Nets. I swear, they can't win in New Jersey! I was hoping they'd sneak past the Spurs to get home court advantage if they happen to meet in the playoffs. I guess the season isn't over yet...

Well, now on to the sweet:

We went up to Layton for the Squires' annual Easter egg hunt, but we went up early so I could go to a Chloe Reese sale with Tyler's sisters. I've gotten most of Ada's hair clips and headbands from there. They had TONS of stuff and I got way more than I'd planned on. But there were some awesome deals, like certain clips for $1 and headbands for $2. I went buck wild and spent $27, but I got tons of good stuff that normally would have cost way more than that. (Tyler's sisters both spent more than I did, so I didn't feel too bad showing him all that I got.) For some reason, buying lots of cute stuff like that makes me really happy. Clothes for myself and Ada (and now the new baby) also fall into that category. They say that money doesn't buy happiness, but I was sure happy after my purchases!

The egg hunt was fun, despite the snow that kept falling. Grandma and Grandpa Squire did one hunt for all the grandkids, and Ada had fun finding all the yellow eggs. Besides candy, she got a cute skirt outfit, sand toys, and a few dollars. She didn't seem to be feeling too bad until the evening, so she had fun most of the day. We also got a bath toy and some nightgowns for the new baby. For the adult hunt, Tyler's parents always put money in some of the eggs, so people are always more concerned about finding those than candy. Tyler and I ended up with the jackpot, together bringing in $104! It's usually a little more even than that (the next closest couple got $31, and the rest got in the teens). Everybody also got a pair of flip-flops. It was very generous of Tyler's parents, and lots of fun because the Bischoffs were in town for it this time. We had to stop by the grocery store afterwards, and Tyler must have been feeling the extra weight in his pocket because he bought Pringles, peach Fresca, and six boxes of Girl Scout cookies! We also bought a bunch of Easter candy for next week. Don't be too surprised if next time you see the three of us we have black teeth and/or some extra bulk packed on!

2 comments:

Rummage said...

How can I sign up for the adult egg hunt? Sounds like the winnings will be a bit of a setback to the weight loss challenge.

tysqui said...

oh man, I love Peach Fresca.