Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Jekyll & Hyde


I've been meaning to post about how good Ada has been lately, but the past few days she's turned a 180 on me. In her defense, I don't think she's feeling all that well. She's getting some new teeth and she's been pretty emotional. She has a runny nose too. I guess I'll get the bad out of the way before I start with the good.


For the past few days, I've been trying to get Ada to go outside so we can go on a walk or play on the playground. She refuses. She takes her clothes off and makes it virtually impossible to leave. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that last time we played on the playground, an unknown little boy kicked her in the face repeatedly until she started crying. Anyway, today I was just ready to get out and go SOMEWHERE. We got a ShopKo ad in the mail, and they're having a huge sale on toddler & infant clothes right now. So after much pressure and lots of time (I had to bribe her with candy just to get her to let me change her poopy diaper), we got in the car and went to ShopKo. Things started out fine but quickly turned sour. Let's just say that she was running around the store making a scene. I somehow managed to find an outfit for her and a pair of pants for Kate, but it was absolutely ridiculous trying to buy them. I was trying to hold Ada and push the cart at the same time. Ada was screaming and bucking in my arms, trying to get down. It was not pretty. I got out of there as quickly as I could, forced her in her car seat, and took off. Luckily Kate was an angel. I wouldn't have been able to handle two crazy children. That was the worst store experience I've had. Ada hasn't been much better at home either. We're not sure what to do with her. The only good part about her being so emotional lately is that she's also more cuddly.


Now that all that is out of the way, let's get to the good. Before she started feeling unwell, we could tell that she was getting a little better at obeying and controlling her temper. She had less tantrums and therefore less time-outs. She usually did what we told her to. She was lots of fun to be around and talk to. I hope that THAT Ada comes back soon. Here are just a few funny things she's done/said lately:

*When she gets mad, she changes everything we say into the opposite. "No, I'm not a pretty girl!", "It's not green, it's yellow!", "It's not my star wand, it's Daddy's star wand!", and my favorite, "I'm not a girl anymore!" She loves to add 'anymore' to the end of things when she's mad.
*When playing with objects of different sizes, there's always a daddy, a mommy, an Ada, and sometimes a Baby Kate. The biggest, of course, is always the daddy, etc. She can play with refrigerator magnets, crayons, game pieces, or anything else and she uses a high, squeaky voice to make everyone talk.
*She was looking through my scriptures the other day and found the pictures in the back. When she saw the Nauvoo Temple, she said, "This temple is a house of God."
*She loves to change the lyrics of songs just to be silly. Ex: "The eensy weensy spider MONKEY!..." She also loves it when we say silly words that rhyme ("Stinky pinky!"). She thinks it's the funniest thing in the world.
*One day she stood up in the bathtub and said, "There's a fruit snack in my bottom!" She loves potty humor. Oh dear. I can't say that I disagree though.


Ada is growing up so fast. She's totally a little girl. I do love having her around. She's becoming more and more my little pal. She's too much fun.

1 comment:

Bruce and Mitzi said...

Okay, I love all the funny things she's saying right now. I'd laugh all day. I'm so sorry about your horrible trip to the store. It's so hard when all you want to do is get out of the house for a minute, and they won't let it happen!