Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lewis, save yourself the pain

With the change in the weather, I am especially ready to wear all my cute pants. My gut, on the other hand, has other plans. Lewis (the name of my gut) would prefer I wear all my old, ugly ones. Somehow between the end of high school and the time I got married my pant size shrunk. It took me a long time to realize it (since I wasn't trying to lose weight), so I have lots of pants that are too big for me. I'm glad I still have them because otherwise I'd still be wearing MATERNITY pants, but really I just don't like them much. I can wear my cute pants if I put a rubber band through the button hole, but that gets old fast. It makes me feel pregnant again. Frankly, I still look pregnant. Something has to be done about Lewis.

Lewis has been around my entire life. I've always been skinny, but my gut has always been disproportionately big. I've never been able to be rid of him, so I've just come to accept the fact that he's here to stay. My sisters gave me a 10-Minute Abs video for my 20th birthday. I did that stupid thing every morning that summer, but it had no effect on the size of Lewis. My sisters would joke that he looked like a doughnut sitting on my tummy, my belly button being the hole. Well, after two kids he now looks more like a bundt than a doughnut (pardon the awful analogy; I really couldn't think of anything better). He's just too big for my liking (and my wardrobe). So I've finally decided to do something about it before he's past the point of no return.

First, I decided to break out the ol' 10-Minute Abs again. I've been doing it every day and it really is a good workout. I've also been trying to do Wii Fit every night. I haven't been as faithful with that, but I'm confident that as I get into a routine it will help immensely. I know that Lewis will never leave me completely (barring drastic surgical measures), but I would sure love to have that doughnut back again.

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

Remember the picture of Lewis at Lewis Lake in Yellowstone? Good times. Anyway, I hear you. I doesn't matter if I run daily, enough to run a half marathon, my butt and thighs will always be disproportionately larger than any other part of my body. It's so frustrating. It makes it so none of my pants are really cute. Such is life I suppose. Good luck getting back your doughnut!

Kim said...

Al, you totally crack me up! You work on Lewis and I'll work on those quadruple thighs! :) Yum...you made me want a doughnut!

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T.Irwin said...

I love that you've named your gut! What a great idea - mine is out of control in the worst of ways.

One of my friends, who has 3 kids, felt the same way and she told me about the program she used: http://www.fityummymummy.com/
I don't know all the little things about it, but my friend couldn't be happier with how she feels.