Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Oh, the stench!

We had big plans to take Ada to Kangaroo Zoo tonight, but they were foiled by Ada. She threw a huge tantrum when I put her down for a nap and threw every possible toy on the floor. It was the messiest I'd ever seen her room. After a few hours I opened her door to start waking her up and smelled a foul stench. I figured it was diarrhea because she'd had that a few times in the last week. When she finally woke up and walked out, there was something all over her clothes. I went into her room and found several piles of vomit on her floor. Since her room was so messy, there were toys covered in it and it was all over her bed. I just about died. It was one of those times where you just freeze because you don't even know where to start. When I walked back out, she looked like she was about to start dry heaving, so I ran her into the bathroom and lifted up the toilet seat. I told her to throw up in there, but she turned and puked in the bathtub. After cleaning it out, I stripped her down, put her in the tub (she did have a messy diaper too), and attempted to clean up the mess. I picked up her clean toys, washed some that were covered in vomit, and threw some away. I scrubbed her carpet and threw her bedding in the washer. Luckily, Tyler came home a bit early with some Sprite and Propel. He was kind enough to make dinner while I finished cleaning up and bathing Ada. She seemed perfectly normal after her bath. She scarfed some Saltines and drank her "special drinks from Daddy", and then we put her in her pajamas and let her watch Nemo. Hopefully that's the last of it. Luckily she only had applesauce and carrots for lunch. Although it made for a disgusting display on her floor, I'm glad she didn't eat tomato soup or spaghetti.

Kangaroo Zoo would have been much more fun.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

That sounds like a very rough day for both you and Ada. I hope she gets feeling better for your sakes. Bodily fluid clean-up has got to be one of the hardest parts about parenthood.

Rachelle said...

Ahhh, the joys of motherhood. :) Hopefully that was a one-time thing.

Audrey said...

So sorry! We've all had those times, but they really suck to deal with!

Michelle and Tony said...

I totally knew what you were talking about when you said that you just sat there not knowing where to start. SO TRUE. I am so sorry. Clarn up duty is always the worst. I am glad that she seemed to be doing better. Good luck with all that.

h. said...

Ew, ick! I hope all is better now. Kangaroo Zoo definitely would've been more fun.

Happy Halloween!

Kim said...

Ugh...it stinks in here. I wish it smelled more pleasant. :) Whenever something stinks I think of that phrase, then I think of you! Oh my! Sounds like that was the true test of motherhood. Dang!

Alysia said...

Sounds awful. I hate cleaning up barf! I am glad she is feeling all better.